Wednesday, October 12, 2011

better-than-store-bought granola bars

I love eating breakfast.  To hear that it's the most important meal of the day excites me, because I wake up hungry in the mornings and the first thing I want to do is eat.  However, the last thing I want to do is prepare breakfast.  That means that I either put off eating until lunch time, or I end up with a bowl of cereal.  Not so great.

That's why I am SO glad I found this recipe for granola bars.  I've made my own granola before, but never been a big fan. These bars are AWESOME!  They are chewy and crunchy, salty and sweet.  AND they are full of protein and healthy fat!  I can make up a batch during the day when I have the energy to make them, and then pop them in the fridge, ready for the next several mornings.  =)  I press them into a muffin pan and then once they've hardened, I pop them into plastic baggies or an airtight container.  They are crumbly, so it's easier than trying to cut them into bars.

This original recipe can be found at the Enjoy Life blog.

Chewy Granola Bars
  • 3 T. Honey or Maple Syrup (I use raw honey)
  • 2 T. Brown Sugar (I use Turbinado)
  • 1 T. Coconut Oil
  • 1/2 c. Peanut Butter
  • 1/2 t. Vanilla Extract
  • Generous Pinch or Two of Salt
  • 2 T. Ground Flaxseed
  • 1 c. Organic Rolled Oats
  • 1 c. Perky’s Crunchy Flax Cereal (can be found at Sprouts and Whole Foods)
  • 1/2 c. Chocolate Chips
  1. In a medium-sized saucepan or skillet, combine the honey, brown sugar and the coconut oil, and gently warm over low heat while stirring until the sugar crystals have dissolved. This should just take a couple of minutes.
  2. Stir in the peanut butter, vanilla, and salt until smooth. Remove from the heat. Allow the mixture to cool for a couple of minutes.
  3. Stir in the flaxseed, followed by the oats and cereal.
  4. Now you have two choices here. If you want the chocolate chips to stay intact, let the mixture cool for few more minutes, and then stir in the chocolate chips. Or, if you are antsy like me, stir in the chocolate chips right away. They may melt a little against the warm pan, but I like them that way.
  5. The mixture will be crumbly, but that is okay. Press it firmly into an 8 x 8 pan (use wax paper over your hand if it threatens to stick while pressing) or into 10 to 12 muffin tins. Make sure it is packed in there nicely, and then place the bars into the freezer to chill for 30 minutes to an hour.
  6. Cut into bars or pop them out and eat. Store them in the refrigerator to keep fresh and from getting too soft.
Yields 10 to 12 snack bars

No comments:

Post a Comment